Schengen visa is valid for the member states of the Schengen agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Schengen visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the above mentioned countries allows the holder to move freely in all these countries for a short term (maximum 90 days within 6 months) tourist, business or private visit.
Please note that holders of a Schengen visa are still subject to immigration control and are not guaranteed entry into any of the Schengen countries, even though they may hold a valid visa for these countries.
Where to apply for a Schengen visa
Visa shall be applied in the country where you legally reside.
- If you wish to visit only one of the Schengen countries, you must apply at the Embassy of that country.
- If you wish to visit more than one of the Schengen countries, you must apply at the Embassy of the country which is your main destination.
- If you do not have a main destination, you must apply at the Embassy of the country which you will travel to first or you stay the longest compared to other stays in Schengen.
Who need a Schengen visa
- Korean citizens are visa free to Schengen area and Finland - do not need a Schengen visa when planning to stay in Finland or Schengen area for 90 days or less within 6 months.
- Other citizens - Check the visa requirements for each nationality in the Schengen area and see what travel documents are accepted by Finland.
The visa processing time is approximately from one to four weeks.
Note that there are the standard required documents mentioned below. Other documents might be requested.
- Application form fully completed and signed
- Passport - must be valid 3 months after the visa expiry date
- Valid Alien Registration Card
- One passport photograph:
photo size exactly 36 x 47 mm, white background, colour picture, head must be in the middle of the picture, eyes must be visible (the hair or eyeglasses must not block the face), neutral facial expression, mouth must be shut. Check the exact instructions for photo from here. Photos that do not meet this criteria will not be accepted
- Travel insurance covering all the Schengen countries - insurance must be valid during the duration of the visa and cover the medical and hospital expenses (emergency treatment, ambulance transportation and transportation back to applicants home country) up to minimum of 30 000 EUR per person
- Return transportation ticket reservation
In addition to the above please provide:
Tourism or private visit:
- Proof of purpose o the visit i.e. tour booking, travel itinerary
- Hotel reservation details or information about the host and housing arrangements
- Proof of financial means i.e. bank statement or international credit card - minimum of 40 EUR per day is required
Business or conference visit:
- Invitation letter from a Finnish company confirming the duration and purpose of stay, as well as contact person name and contact details
- Statement of your employer certifying the purpose of the visit
Passport validity time
- For nationalities that need a visa - passport must be valid 3 months after the visa expiry date
- For nationalities that do not need a visa - passport must be valid during the stay
The fee is to be paid cash in KRW on application according to the current exchange rate. If the visa is refused or the application is withdrawn by the applicant, the visa fee will not be reimbursed.
Spouses or dependants of EU nationals
Schengen visas are issued free of charge for the spouses and dependants of EU-nationals. Spouse's passport and a marriage certificate/ children's full birth certificate and parent's passports should be presented. All documents should be presented original.
Diplomatic or Official passport holders
There is no visa fee for Diplomatic, Official or Special passport holders providing that they are travelling on official duty. A note from the Embassy should be presented. Otherwise the same fees apply as for ordinary passport holders.